Doctoral researchers may finance their studies through employment at the university (internal funding) or through project-specific external funding. Doctoral supervisors can only award job contracts if they are available. One is awarded salary grade E13 according to the German collective wage agreement (TVöD). The employment contracts can cover 50-100% of the full working time and are based on TVöD 13 (approx. 1.800 € before tax at 50% employment). For jobs financed through state funds, the teaching obligation is regulated in the employment contract (2 SWS per semester at 50% employment); for jobs financed by third-party funds, however, there is normally no contractual teaching obligation.
For details on the current job opportunities at Universität Hamburg, please see the website of your respective department and the university homepage. You can also check the websites of the graduate schools for vacant positions.
You also have the opportunity to complete your doctoral studies at one of the following external research institutions in cooperation with Universität Hamburg:
- Helmholtz Association (German Research Centres)
- Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY)
- Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Centre for Materials and Coastal Research (HZG)
- Max Planck Society
- Max Planck Institute for the Structure and Dynamics of Matter (MPSD)
- Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M)
- Leibniz Association
- University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Information on work contracts and job opportunities can mostly be found on the institutional websites.